California Delta - Sunrise

California Delta - Sunrise
C.O. Pro Teen Classic 2008

Monday, January 17, 2011

2011 Fishing Trips

I am actually going to start this out in December of 2010 as that was my first tournament of the season with Folsom Bass Team.  We fished Lake Comanche , fishing in December is always interesting and I thoroughly enjoy the challenge of the weather and the fish.

Typically when fishing tournaments I try to get out and "Pre-Fish" or figure out what the fish are currently relating to, and what the activity level is on the lake, this trip I went "Blind" without seeing the lake since this time last year.  My partner told me the water level, and I knew where I was going - Main Lake Points out by the damn.  I have a good little rock pile that has deep water nearby, a must for winter time fishing, that I have caught 4 pounders off of in the past.  So first stop of the day is the rock pile, but the only problem is the base is in about 5 feet, shoulda pre-fished, no worries there are old trees that stick up about 6' from the base of the rocks, and the creek channel comes right up on them.  

My plan was to throw a swim-bait along the sides of the rock and then work jigs, but the water level doesn't agree with my plans.  So I pick up my trusty M.S. Slammer wake bait and toss it out, right  at the base of the rocks and work it slowly - very slowly, just enough to get the wood to knock - nothing - a trout jumps off to my right - nice they are working a school in here. So my third cast with the M.S. Slammer is at the base of the trees and BAMO - a fish just annihilates the bait up on top right as the slammer nicks the tree - I start skiing her to the boat - its a good one, and has the bait choked down to the back of its mouth, first fish of the day 4lb Largemouth, NICE!   We work through this area including the rocks off to the right and nothing more to be had, OK on to the next point, and the next point, and the next point - my partner was out the day before with "The Blademan" and they got them on worms in the narrows.  Its 10:00am and I have one fish in the boat - time to go catch some worm fish.  

We go back to the narrows and work a submerged road bed, nothing damn - we come out and on the point I meter on the  Lowrance HDS-5 5-Inch Waterproof Marine GPS and Chartplotter with Sounder (Pre-loaded Lake Insight Charts) a school of fish with bait nearby.  I pickup my Drop Shot rod and lower it strait down with my trusty Margarita Mutilator worm, tink - I get a bite, call for the net, its a good one, as a matter of fact its an awesome 3.5 lb TROUT - ugh I sink - we fish hard for the rest of the day but no other bites.  The 4lber is good for big fish of the tournament, so I cash a check which is always a good thing in a tournament.

No comments:

Post a Comment